Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Alternative Beliefs and the ER

Since starting my job, I've very often encountered dualities that challenged my methods of thought. The protocols surrounding procedures creates a grounded and solid lens through which to view anything out of the ordinary (which tends to include everything in the ER). It's insidious enough that I don't even notice until I mentally review the day. Checklists that I unthinkingly tick off form a very rigid structure to view the oddities that pass through, especially the psychiatric patients. I've wondered time and again - how would I (or the nurses or physician) view a Therianthropic patient in a deep mental shift? Similarly, how would we appreciate a metaphysical causality for conditions such as possession or psychic attack? The usage of sedation and restraint in a monitored room is very clumsy-handed, and I'm not sure whether this is because I work in a rural hospital with limited resources, or if it's a standard by which most work off of.

On a different note, it's interesting when we have actual emergencies come rolling through the door. The feel of the department changes from tolerant calmness for minor complaints to a sense of excitement and urgency - this is what everyone has been trained for. Everybody works closely as a team, and the already sharp focus of the nurses and physicians becomes almost razor-like. The most recent and notable occurred at midnight, and involved a patient who fell from a height (about 30 feet) onto his side. He was responsive but confused when the medics picked him up, but was completely unresponsive when he arrived at the ER. A quick chest X-ray revealed a tension hemo-pneumothorax (he had both air and blood in the pleural space, and it was worsening with each ventilation). The ER physician attempted to relieve some of the worsening pressure via an IV needle between the ribs, but it didn't do much - the viscosity of the blood was probably clogging it. The surgeon on call decided to place a chest tube. He prepped the area and then used hemostats to open up an area between the ribs, and was subsequently exploded upon.

The blood and air was at such a pressure and volume that it managed to get the surgeon and cover much of the floor and side of the gurney. Units of blood were hung to replace the volume, and many meds were pushed, but the patient's body was overwhelmed and decided enough was enough. I heard the very distinctive and jarring "code blue" bell from the room (it's the alarm that signifies a cardiac arrest, which means a mass influx of nurses and physicians to the indicated room) some time later, and we spent about half an hour performing CPR. Since someone started the chest compressions before me, I didn't break any ribs when I took over. If anyone tells you that CPR isn't hard work, call them a liar. The ER physician eventually called the time of death, and we kept the patient in a room for the family to visit later. They had to drive three hours to get here, I don't want to imagine what kind of drive that must have been.

I'll see if I can update this more, but I'm about to start night shift in earnest next month. I'm about to work a seven day stretch, we'll see how much energy I have!

1 comment:

emc said...

That's some mighty fine writing! Ya, not too many places to go for people with experiences outside the norm. And those experiences inside the norm sounded pretty intense!